1x04 Lucrezia's Wedding episode still of Giovanni Sforza
|Portrayed by||Ronan Vibert|
|First appearance||Lucrezia's Wedding|
|Latest appearance||The Choice|
|Title||Lord of Pesaro|
|House||House of Sforza|
|Spouse(s)||Lucrezia Borgia (annulled)|
|Other relatives|| Ascanio Sforza (cousin) |
Catherina Sforza (cousin)
Ludovico Sforza (cousin)
The Lord of Pesaro, picked as the husband of Lucrezia by the pope in exchange for support from the Sforza house. A cold and brutish man, he rapes Lucrezia repeatedly at the beginning of the marriage, but breaks his leg after falling off a horse thanks to a scheme by Lucrezia. The household staff all hate him and several of them side with Lucrezia and aid her in her affair with Paolo. He betrays the alliance with the Borgias by refusing to support them against the impending French invasion. He is later humiliated by the Borgias, who convene the College of Cardinals to have the marriage annulled on the grounds of impotence. When Sforza denies the charges, the Pope declares that he must prove it before the College and two overweight, unattractive prostitutes are brought in. Sforza, unable to bear the humiliation, declares that he is impotent and is sent from Rome in disgrace. He is later killed by Cesare Borgia.
|Season one appearances|
|The Poisoned Chalice||The Assassin||The Moor|
|Lucrezia's Wedding||The Borgias in Love||The French King|
|Death, on a Pale Horse||The Art of War||Nessuno (Nobody)|
|Season two appearances|
|The Borgia Bull||Paolo||The Beautiful Deception||Stray Dogs||The Choice|
|Day of Ashes||The Siege at Forli||Truth and Lies||World of Wonders||The Confession|
- Giovanni was only 26 years old at the time he married Lucrezia Borgia, not in his 40s as the series depicts him. Also, there are no indicators to assume he raped her.
- Cesare Borgia did not murder Giovanni. Giovanni died in Pesaro in 1510, outliving Cesare by three years.
- ↑ "The Moor"
- ↑ "Lucrezia's Wedding"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "The Borgias in Love"
- ↑ "Death, on a Pale Horse"
- ↑ "Nessuno (Nobody)"
- ↑ "The Choice"
- ↑ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Borgias_%282011_TV_series%29#Cast
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=The_Borgias_%282011_TV_series%29&diff=0&oldid=535775245#Historical_notes